Niech będzie pochwalony
Witamy na stronie internetowej parafii rzymskokatolickiej Najświętszej Maryi Panny Królowej Świata w Stargardzie Szczecińskim.
Dziękujemy że nas odwiedziliście
Ksiądz Proboszcz i księża wikariusze.
Taras widokowy na wieży koscioła Mariackiego
Serdecznie zapraszamy od poniedziałku do soboty w godzinach od 10.00 do 16.00 na taras widokowy na wieży naszego kościoła.
Ogólnopolskie Spotkanie Młodych - Lednica
Zapraszamy na XIII Ogólnopolskie Spotkanie Młodych na polach Lednickich w sobotę 6 czerwca 2008 r. Koszt wyjazdu 50 zł. Wszystkich zainteresowanych prosimy o zgłoszenia do księdza Grzegorza.
The Early History of Sanctuary
The artistic rank of this Church architecture is known as an example of great sacral construction works in the late Middle Ages. It is belonging to one of the oldest. It goes beyond the region borders. Its exception is registered on a list of European cultural heritage. The architecture experts noticed a very high artistic merit of a building. It is recognized by the world for its beauty of forms. It is covered with the marvelous wall paintings. There are many figures on the stone columns. It shows us a monument what we call colloquially a cathedral although from the beginning of its existence it was set as a parochial sanctuary.
The Church built in Stargard Szczecinski is very different from the nearby buildings. The cornerstone of the building was laid early in 1292 and the construction works have been continued with on and off to the end of 15th century. The first stage started at the turn of the 13th/14th century. It comes from beginning as a typical architecture for the Western Pomeranian district with the three-naves without towers, a hall, a main nave, and the extended presbytery. The Church is built of red bricks. The columns alone are 40 feet high as tall as three-story building. The Sanctuary belongs to the Diocese of Kamien and to the Metropolis of Gniezno and received the following title: The Most Holy Virgin Mary.
In the second mid of 14th century to the western facade of the body nave is added two towers. The elevations have received the original system of divisions compounded with closely intertwined engraving and lengthened blendes, and large tends on tops. The ornaments did not have any early equivalents in this region. The next creators of Pomeranian Churches in the Middle Ages followed the style of ornaments. In 1380, the architects started to build up the eastern part of sanctuary and its shapes are seen until the present times.
In the late Middle Ages, the author of a new concept of presbytery was a very eminent artist. His name was Henry Brunsberg. He made himself famous as an architect, a sculptor, and a painter. He is recognized as a master of new architecture works. He creates an innovative way connected with traditional basilica forms, and he sets a new project to build a Gothic bypass and the ring of chapels hidden internally and behind of the exterior plate of buttress wall. In the shape of a main nave and a presbytery he puts a classic three-sided order and a beautiful gallery, which are in this type of art a new unique red brick solution. By the northern part of bypass the architect created a beautiful Our Lady Chapel in a shape of octagon. It reminds us the English cathedral charterhouse solutions. The walls of Our Lady Chapel nearby a bypass were decorated with vertical striped ceramic ornaments. It was never seen before with so plenty of compositions and forms. The compositions of niche zones on tops with panes and traceries of rosettes are alike to the Gothic altars. It was set up together with saints sculptures made of fire clay. It was enriched with many colorful glazed red brick compositions. Brunsberg as first, created this kind of art at Our Lady Chapel in Stargard Szczecinski, and gave the beginning to a new style in paintings, sculpture, and architecture at both Pomeranian and Bronderburg districts. Other artists has followed it.
In the second mid of 15th century there was the last stage in building up of Church. At this time, the artists started to build an extension in the back part of church, and the old interior nave hall. It gets a form of basilica, however, the octagonal pillars, arcades between naves, parts of walls and the sides of naves and vaults remain the same. To the external walls of naves added a line of original chapels with many different ornaments. It was covered with polychromies, which embellished the walls of naves, chapels, pillars and vaults. Inside the church, there have been over 50 altars, three pair of organs, stalles, 8 bells and the colorful stained-glass windows.
In 1635 all these beautiful accessories were very badly damaged by fire. A few fragments survived and it shows until our times a very high quality of beautiful artistic works of the Middle Ages. The present shape of sanctuary is the same as in the Middle Ages. Many important construction works have taken place in the mid of 17th century and in 1905. As a result of these works there are seen changes in the forms of vaults, in a main nave, and in a southern tower. There are seen new elements. The vaults of main nave have got the original Baroque polychromies and inside we may find a piece of furniture as the altars, a pulpit and the stalls. From the mid of 16th century to 1945 the Church was in the hands of Protestants.
The Contemporary History of Sanctuary
The Church was partly damaged in 1945. The reconstruction works of sanctuary has been started. In 1947, on the 7th Sunday after Easter (Whit Sunday), the church was consecrated by the Reverend Alojzy Pilat, Father of the Society of Christ to Polish Migrants, Dean in Stargard Szczecinski. From this time at each Sunday is still celebrated a High Mass with the Polish Armed Forces participation. The next year, in 1948 the communist government imposed a ban for the public to not enter the church, and stop celebrating a Mass. The ban was kept all the time until establishing a new parish.
From 1948 to 1957 the communist government assigned the church as a warehouse with a purpose of keeping the construction materials. Even the trucks did drive into the church. The Church building was defiled, damaged, and devastated. Its inside, red brick floor, stairs, and all accessories have been very badly damaged. The roof was leaking, there was no windows and no glasses, and from the walls come off the plasters and the vaults.
After restoring the sanctuary, and under the title Our Most Holy Virgin Mary of Queen of the World the parish Church was established. On May 4, 1957 His Excellency the Most Reverend dr Teodor Bensch issued a special document in this matter. It was announced that the Church is reconstructed and dedicated and open to the public as a Roman Catholic Parochial Church. On November 30, 1957 the consecration of the Church was done by His Eminence the Most Reverend Cardinal dr. Stefan Wyszynski, Primate of Poland. The first Holy Mass was celebrated on December 8, 1957 by the Reverend Monsignor dr Wladyslaw Sygnatowicz, General Curate of Gorzów Diocese (Curia in Gorzów). The homily was preached by the Reverend Alojz Pilat, Pastor and Dean in Stargard Szczecinski.
In October 1, 1992 there was the seven hundredth anniversary celebration as the Church was built. At this time, there was finished the new reconstruction of Church together with the councilor of altar. It was done with great sense of joy as well as thankfulness to our loving God by His Excellency the Most Reverend Archbishop Marian Przykucki.
At present time, there are undergoing repairs such as the rustproofing and the restoration of historic architecture beauty. Among other works, there are renewing wall paintings, brick figures, and many plaster works. From not so long ago, the Church belongs to the European Gothic Brick Route. The Church was and shall be a great support in religion and national matters in spite of many difficulties and persecutions. Our Church has changed these past years - a change that has brought new hopes and commitment, new sharing and new desires. We are most hopeful that God will continue to nourish and strengthen us in all the years that are before us.
How to visit and see the Sanctuary in Stargard Szczecinski?
In order to see the Sanctuary, Terraces, and the whole City from the Church's tower - you may tour at weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Mon. thru Sat.) Please, call a tour guide the phone number is: (+48) 504 915 219 or you may call the Reverend Monsignor Henry Ozga, Pastor of the Most Holy Virgin Mary of Queen of the World Collegiate Church. The phone number is: (0048) 91 578 30 22
Masses at the Most Holy Virgin Mary of Queen of the World Collegiate Church
Parish Office Hours
Home | Wydarzenia | Galerie | O parafii | Kościoły | Nabożeństwa | LSO | Wspólnoty | Kontakt | Historia parafii | Ludzie parafii | D K F